Today we will continue to discuss B12 friendly foods and how we can modify recipes even more to reap the most nutritional benefits from our meals and snacks. This coconut cake is already fortified with b12 in some sense, but a few adjustments to the ingredients used will cause each bite of this cake to boost your B12 levels in the best way possible and how had nature intended: by drawing it from your food.
You will need these ingredients
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour (replaceable with whole, unbleached and nutrients fortified flour – this type of flour will help with the absorption of the nutrients in the GI tract)
- 3⁄4 cup castor sugar (you can grind regular sugar in your blender for a few minutes to get the fine grain of castor sugar. This can be replaced by unrefined cane sugar which possesses healthy yeast which will further help you digest and absorb the vitamins in this cake)
- 1 cup dry coconut
- 4 eggs
- 100 g butter, melted (butter, as a milk product is rich in B12. However it can be replaced with margarine if needed but this is not advised)
- 2 cups of milk ( replace with kefir, creme fresh or any cultured milk product to reap full benefits. Kefir is VERY rich in the vitamin and helps the digestion through its powerful combinations of amino acids, probiotics and healthy bacteria cultures. If needed these can be replaced with fortified soy milk or even coconut milk. Recently a new type of vitamin fortified coconut milk, So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage, has been available on the market which professes to provide 50% of your daily recommended value of B12)
1. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Combine eggs, butter and milk in a separate bowl. Gradually add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients while whisking.
3. Pour into a lightly greased ovenproof dish.
5. Bake at moderate heat (around 180°C) for 45 minutes or until set.
When serving this and any other sweet food always add fresh fruits and kefir/cream whips (recipe for these to follow in another post) to powerfully increase your nutritional intake, and possibly your metabolism, mood and of course overall health. This particular cake goes very well with passion fruit, lychees, raspberries and star fruit (carambola). Enjoy this light cake knowing that it provides you with incredible nutrition.